Vce Study Guides Identity And Belonging Essays At Marsden Bay Essay Writing Why Write Reflective Essays Nursing Contoh Soal Essay Pancasila An Essay On The Importance Of Music In Our Life Visit To The Library Essay

Frequently Asked Questions

11. What do I do with non-common household items?

From Yard Trash, to Electronics, to your leftover Wine Bottles... just about everything has its place.

Air Conditioners
Compact Fluorescent Bulbs & Lamps
Carpets & Rugs
Fire Extinguishers
Cooking Grease & Oil
Ink & Toner Cartridges
Medical Waste & Sharps
Yoga Mats
Check with the DEEP to see how you should dispose of your item in question.

22. What do I do with my old computer and other electronics?

Many computers, television sets, cell phones and other electronics contain small, but harmful amounts of lead mercury and cadmium, other toxic constituents. Recycling of old electronics ensures that these hazardous components are disposed of properly. Some manufacturers have take back programs. If you are buying a new computer or electronic device, ask the company or retail store to take your old one back!

Additionally, the State of CT DEEP maintains a listing of places where you can donate or recycle household electronic items such as PC's, Laptops, TV's, Cell Phones & other mobile devices.

33. Which items can be recycled curbside?

The same material is collected in round pails with handles, 18 gallon containers, or large single stream recycling containers.

Acceptable items include:

Paper products (newspaper, junk mail, magazines, catalogs, phone books, greeting cards, office paper, ceral boxes) Clean glass and plastic food and beverage containers. Must be cleaned and rinsed
Plastics #1 through #7 (includes laundry detergent and shampoo bottles) Corrugated cardboard
Must fit in container

Residential mixed paper does not include:
wax or plastic inserts from cookie or cereal type boxes
frozen food boxes
painted or crayoned paper
overnight envelopes
hardcover books
scratch-off lottery tickets
colored file folders
foil-lined paper

44. Can I recycle junk mail, catalogs & phone books?

TROC communities also accept junk mail, as well as newspaper, magazines, and catalogs. Options for recycling residential mixed paper, include junk mail, writing paper, white-only construction paper, soft cover books, telephone directories, brown paper grocery bags, brown envelopes, and packing paper.

55. What should I place at the curb for trash pick up?

Food waste, non-recyclable paper and plastic packaging, small metal items, small appliances (toasters, clocks and clock radios), and clothing are typical examples. Maximum container size is generally 32-gallon, unless your trash collector has automated equipment for handling larger containers.


Medical waste
Hazardous chemicals
Electronics- computers, televisions, cellphones
Leaves or grass clippings
Tree limbs or stumps
Hazardous materials
Auto/marine batteriesv Automotive fluids (oil and antifreeze)
Propane/pressurized gas cylinders
Refrigerators, washers/dryers, air conditioners, and other
appliances are recyclable
Rechargeable batteries
Fluorescent lamps

Check with your local Public Works department, the DEEP, or see our information on Household Hazardous Waste

66. How do I dispose of sharps, prescription medicine & OTC medicine?

Do not flush prescription medicines or OTC products down the sink or toilet!

Although using the toilet or sink prevents someone from accidentally taking the medications, disposing of them in this way causes water pollution and has adverse effects on septic systems, sewage treatment plants, fish and other aquatic wildlife. Trace amounts of all kinds of drugs have also been found in some drinking water supplies because they pass through septic systems and sewage plants untreated.

The best way to dispose of prescription medicines and OTC products is to put them in the trash. In CT, most of our trash is burned at Resource Recovery Facilities at very high temperatures that destroy these products. You can participate in a "take-back" program.

By following the instructions in the downloadable PDF listed below, you will protect your privacy, discourage unintended consumption of the drugs and protect our water. (Remember to follow these instructions for any pet medications you have, too.)

If possible, ask your doctor to give you a smaller amount of a prescription or a sample of a drug that you are taking for the first time to see if it works for you. This may save you money and will also eliminate the need for throwing the drug away if it doesn’t work for you. Do the same for animal prescriptions.

Look at the expiration date on over-the-counter products. Will you be able to use all of it before the product expires? If not, maybe a smaller amount will do.

Look into mail-back programs for sharps. The Sustainable Hospitals website has a list of companies that provide sharps containers or check with your local hospital.

Note: The DEP does not endorse any products. Contact vendors directly to purchase a product or to obtain more information.

Download : Prescription Disposal Fact Sheet

77. What happens to my trash?

The containers and barrels of trash that you place at your curbside for collection may be transformed into electricity that will light the skyline or power the neighborhood. The process begins when the municipal solid waste arrives at our facility in Bristol.

After being weighed, it is moved to a storage pit that can hold up to 4,000 tons of unprocessed waste. One of two overhead cranes lifts the waste and places it into combustion unit charging hoppers. These containers prepare the waste for combustion, a rapid chemical process that takes place in two furnaces that can each burn up to 325 tons of waste every day. Each furnace has separate combustion controls and air pollution controls, leading to fewer emissions than conventional fuels burned in most American power plants.

The furnaces are used to produce steam, which generates electricity for sale to Connecticut Light & Power. Not only does the waste-to-energy process prevent your trash from piling up in landfills and releasing harmful methane gases commonly known as greenhouse gas, it helps Bristol Facility Policy Board/TROC reduce the tipping fees for our member communities.

88. What happens to my recycled products?

Materials from TROC's member communities are delivered to a state-of-the-art recycling processing center located on Christian Lane in Berlin, and operated by Murphy Road.

This facility uses automated material handling equipment, such as conveyors, screens, magnets, eddy current separators, and optical sorting technology to separate combined recyclables into various grades of products, including sorted office paper, cardboard, aluminum, steel, and many different plastic resins.

99. When is the curbside pickup for my town?

Or call Tunxis Recycling Committee at (860) 585-0419 or (860) 225-9811

1010. What is Household Hazardous Waste (HHW)?

Many consumers products such as pesticides, oil based paint and paint thinners, varnish, stains and shellac, motor oil, gasoline, and household cleaners contain chemicals that are harmful to human health and the environment.

These products need to be handled with care and disposed of properly in order to protect your family's health and safety, as well as that of your community.

In the Home:
Non-empty aerosol cans
Products containing mercury
Household batteries
Furniture, floor and metal polishes
Fluorescent lamps
Laundry products like bleach and spot removers
Oven, drain and household cleaners
Bug Sprays
Disinfectants and mildew removers

In the Basement/Garage/Garden:
Oil based paint, varnishes, shellac, stains, thinners and paint strippers
Driveway sealants
Pool and photographic chemicals
Auto fluids such as motor oil and antifreeze
Car waxes and cleaners

1111. What products are not accepted at Household Hazardous Waste collections?

The following items are not accepted at HHW collections: Empty Aerosol Cans
Ammunition and other explosives
Smoke detectors and radioactive materials
Propane Tanks
Commercial and industrial waste
Appliances such as air conditioners, television sets, and computers
Fire extinguishers
Waste from any business

1212. Where can I bring my used paint products?

Since the start of the PaintCare product stewardship program the state of Connecticut has established 149 drop off locations where the public can take unwanted, leftover paint for recycling.

Most of these sites are at paint retailers (paint and hardware stores) that have volunteered to take back paint, and they are available to any household and business in Connecticut. These stores accept paint whenever they are open for business.

To find a drop off location near you please visit the PaintCare wesbite: PaintCare

1313. Where can I find information for my local transfer station?

Below is a list of phone numbers and hours for each local transfer station or recycling center.