Frequently Asked Questions

What do I do with non-common household items?

From Yard Trash, to Electronics, to your leftover Wine Bottles... just about everything has its place.

  • Air Conditioners
  • Asbestos
  • Compact Fluorescent Bulbs & Lamps
  • Carpets & Rugs
  • Fire Extinguishers
  • Cooking Grease & Oil
  • Ink & Toner Cartridges
  • Medical Waste & Sharps
  • Tires
  • Yoga Mats

Check with the DEEP to see how you should dispose of your item in question.

What do I do with my old computer and other electronics?

Many computers, television sets, cell phones and other electronics contain small, but harmful amounts of lead mercury and cadmium, other toxic constituents. Recycling of old electronics ensures that these hazardous components are disposed of properly. Some manufacturers have take back programs. If you are buying a new computer or electronic device, ask the company or retail store to take your old one back!

Additionally, the State of CT DEEP maintains a listing of places where you can donate or recycle household electronic items such as PC's, Laptops, TV's, Cell Phones & other mobile devices.

Which items can be recycled curbside?

The same material is collected in round pails with handles, 18 gallon containers, or large single stream recycling containers.

Acceptable items include:

  • Paper products (newspaper, junk mail, magazines, catalogs, phone books, greeting cards, office paper, ceral boxes)
  • Clean glass and plastic food and beverage containers
    • Must be cleaned and rinsed
  • Plastics #1 through #7 (includes laundry detergent and shampoo bottles)
  • Corrugated cardboard
    • Must fit in container

Residential mixed paper does not include:

  • wax or plastic inserts from cookie or cereal type boxes
  • frozen food boxes
  • painted or crayoned paper
  • overnight envelopes
  • hardcover books
  • scratch-off lottery tickets
  • colored file folders
  • foil-lined paper

Can I recycle junk mail, catalogs & phone books?

TROC communities also accept junk mail, as well as newspaper, magazines, and catalogs. Options for recycling residential mixed paper, include junk mail, writing paper, white-only construction paper, soft cover books, telephone directories, brown paper grocery bags, brown envelopes, and packing paper.

What should I place at the curb for trash pick up?

Food waste, non-recyclable paper and plastic packaging, small metal items, small appliances (toasters, clocks and clock radios), and clothing are typical examples. Maximum container size is generally 32-gallon, unless your trash collector has automated equipment for handling larger containers.


  • Medical waste
  • Hazardous chemicals
  • Electronics- computers, televisions, cellphones
  • Leaves or grass clippings
  • Tree limbs or stumps
  • Hazardous materials
  • Auto/marine batteries
  • Automotive fluids (oil and antifreeze)
  • Propane/pressurized gas cylinders
  • Refrigerators, washers/dryers, air conditioners, and other appliances are recyclable
  • Rechargeable batteries
  • Fluorescent lamps
  • Tires

Check with your local Public Works department, the DEEP, or see our information on Household Hazardous Waste 

How do I dispose of sharps, prescription medicine & OTC medicine?

Do not flush prescription medicines or OTC products down the sink or toilet!

Although using the toilet or sink prevents someone from accidentally taking the medications, disposing of them in this way causes water pollution and has adverse effects on septic systems, sewage treatment plants, fish and other aquatic wildlife. Trace amounts of all kinds of drugs have also been found in some drinking water supplies because they pass through septic systems and sewage plants untreated.

The best way to dispose of prescription medicines and OTC products is to put them in the trash. In CT, most of our trash is burned at Resource Recovery Facilities at very high temperatures that destroy these products. You can participate in a "take-back" program.

By following the instructions in the downloadable PDF listed below, you will protect your privacy, discourage unintended consumption of the drugs and protect our water. (Remember to follow these instructions for any pet medications you have, too.)

If possible, ask your doctor to give you a smaller amount of a prescription or a sample of a drug that you are taking for the first time to see if it works for you. This may save you money and will also eliminate the need for throwing the drug away if it doesn’t work for you. Do the same for animal prescriptions.

Look at the expiration date on over-the-counter products. Will you be able to use all of it before the product expires? If not, maybe a smaller amount will do.

Look into mail-back programs for sharps. The Sustainable Hospitals website has a list of companies that provide sharps containers or check with your local hospital.

Note: The DEP does not endorse any products. Contact vendors directly to purchase a product or to obtain more information.

Download : Prescription Disposal Fact Sheet

What happens to my trash?

The containers and barrels of trash that you place at your curbside for collection may be transformed into electricity that will light the skyline or power the neighborhood. The process begins when the municipal solid waste arrives at our facility in Bristol.

After being weighed, it is moved to a storage pit that can hold up to 4,000 tons of unprocessed waste. One of two overhead cranes lifts the waste and places it into combustion unit charging hoppers. These containers prepare the waste for combustion, a rapid chemical process that takes place in two furnaces that can each burn up to 325 tons of waste every day. Each furnace has separate combustion controls and air pollution controls, leading to fewer emissions than conventional fuels burned in most American power plants.

The furnaces are used to produce steam, which generates electricity for sale to Connecticut Light & Power. Not only does the waste-to-energy process prevent your trash from piling up in landfills and releasing harmful methane gases commonly known as greenhouse gas, it helps Bristol Facility Policy Board/TROC reduce the tipping fees for our member communities.

What happens to my recycled products?

Materials from TROC's member communities are delivered to a state-of-the-art recycling processing center located on Christian Lane in Berlin, and operated by Murphy Road. This facility uses automated material handling equipment, such as conveyors, screens, magnets, eddy current separators, and optical sorting technology to separate combined recyclables into various grades of products, including sorted office paper, cardboard, aluminum, steel, and many different plastic resins.

When is the curbside pickup for my town?

The numbers below are for the Public Works Department for each specific town. Please call them if you need to find out the pickup schedule for your town.

  • Berlin (860) 828-7022
  • Branford (203) 488-8394
  • Bristol (860) 584-6125
  • Burlington (860) 673-2493 x224
  • Hartland (860) 653-6800
  • New Britain (860) 826-3350
  • Plainville (860) 793-0221 x208
  • Plymouth (860) 585-4030
  • Prospect (203) 758-4461
  • Seymour (203) 888-2511
  • Southington (860) 276-6200
  • Warren (860) 868-9030
  • Washington (860) 868-2259
  • Wolcott (203) 879-8100


Or call Tunxis Recycling Committee at

(860) 585-0419 or (860) 225-9811

What is Household Hazardous Waste (HHW)?

Many consumers products such as pesticides, oil based paint and paint thinners, varnish, stains and shellac, motor oil, gasoline, and household cleaners contain chemicals that are harmful to human health and the environment. These products need to be handled with care and disposed of properly in order to protect your family's health and safety, as well as that of your community.

In the Home:

  • Non-empty aerosol cans
  • Products containing mercury
  • Household batteries
  • Furniture, floor and metal polishes
  • Fluorescent lamps
  • Laundry products like bleach and spot removers
  • Oven, drain and household cleaners
  • Bug Sprays
  • Disinfectants and mildew removers

In the Basement/Garage/Garden:

  • Oil based paint, varnishes, shellac, stains, thinners and paint strippers
  • Driveway sealants
  • Pool and photographic chemicals
  • Auto fluids such as motor oil and antifreeze
  • Car waxes and cleaners
  • Gasoline

What products are not accepted at Household Hazardous Waste collections?

The following items are not accepted at HHW collections:

  • Empty Aerosol Cans
  • Ammunition and other explosives
  • Smoke detectors and radioactive materials
  • Propane Tanks
  • Medicines
  • Commercial and industrial waste
  • Tires
  • Appliances such as air conditioners, television sets, and computers
  • Fire extinguishers
  • Waste from any business

Where can I bring my used paint products?

Since the start of the PaintCare product stewardship program the state of Connecticut has established 149 drop off locations where the public can take unwanted, leftover paint for recycling. Most of these sites are at paint retailers (paint and hardware stores) that have volunteered to take back paint, and they are available to any household and business in Connecticut. These stores accept paint whenever they are open for business.

To find a drop off location near you please visit the PaintCare wesbite:


Where can I find information for my local transfer station?

Below is a list of phone numbers and hours for each local transfer station or recycling center.

Berlin Municipal Complex
19 Town Farm Lane
Berlin, CT 06037
Phone: 860.828.7022
Fax: 860.828.7068
Monday-Friday 7:15 AM - 3:15 PM
Saturday 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM

Branford Transfer Station
747 East Main St.
Branford, CT 06405
Transfer Station Phone: 203 483-8641
Solid Waste Phone: 203-315-0622
Fax: 203-488-6125
Monday-Friday 7:15 AM -1:30 PM
Saturday 7:15 AM-2:30 PM

Bristol Transfer Station
685 Lake Ave.
Bristol, CT 06010
Phone: (860) 584-7791
Monday-Friday 7:15 AM to 2:45 PM
Saturday 7:30 AM to 1:00 PM

Burlington Recycling Center
66 Belden Road Highway Garage
Burlington, CT, 06013
Phone: 860.673.2439 Ext. 224
Fax: 860.673.8427
Wednesdays & Saturdays Only
April 1st - November 30th 8:00am to 4:00pm
December 1st - March 31st 8:00am to 12:00pm

New Britain Recycling Center
642 Christian Lane
Berlin, CT 06037
Phone: 860.826.3494
Fax: 860.826.3353
Monday-Friday 7 AM- 2:30 PM

Plainville Transfer Station
23 Granger Lane
Plainville, CT 06062
Phone: 860-793-0221 Ext. 208
Fax: 860-793-2285
Saturday’s Only
8:00 AM to 3:00 PM

Plymouth Recycling Center
170 Old Waterbury Rd
Terryville, CT 06786
Phone: 860.585.4030
Fax: 860.585.4067
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday
8:30 AM - 4:30 PM
7:00 AM - 1:00 PM

Prospect Recycling Center
1810 Plank Rd
Cheshire, CT 06410
Phone: 203.758.4461
Wednesday and Saturday
8:00 AM to 2:30 PM

Seymour Recycling Center
116 Silvermine Rd
Seymour, CT 06483
Phone: 203.888.0168
Tuesday- Saturday 8:00 AM - 2:45 PM

Southington Bulk Waste Transfer Station
617 Old Turnpike Road
Southington, CT 06489
Phone: Highway Superintendent 860.276.9430
8 AM- 3 PM

Washington Recycling Center
Clark Road
Washington, CT 06794
Phone: 860.868.2259
Fax: 860.868.3103
8 AM-2 PM

Wolcott Bulk Waste Transfer Station
48 Todd Road
Wolcott CT, 06716
Phone: 203.879.8100 Ext. 103
Fax: 203.879.8143
7 AM- 3 PM
7 AM- 1 PM
8 AM- 3 PM